Roasted Asparagus with Chopped Egg Salad
Notes: To cook the eggs, place in a 3- to 4-quart pan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, and boil gently, uncovered, for about 13 minutes. With a slotted spoon, lift eggs from water and immerse in cold water until cool. The asparagus can be roasted (step 1) up to 2 hours ahead; cover loosely and let stand at room temperature. The chopped egg salad can be made (step 2) up to 1 day ahead; wrap airtight and chill. Bring to room temperature, then spoon over asparagus just before serving.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 148
- Calories from fat: 67%
- Protein: 8.5g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Carbohydrate: 6.3g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Sodium: 170mg
- Cholesterol: 133mg
- 3 pounds asparagus
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 hard-cooked large eggs (see notes), shelled and coarsely chopped
- 12 green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon drained capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 ounces arugula or baby spinach (about 4 cups), rinsed and crisped
- 1. Rinse asparagus; snap off and discard tough stem ends. In a 12- by 17-inch baking pan, mix asparagus with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Transfer half the mixture to another 12- by 17-inch baking pan. Bake in a 450° regular or convection oven until asparagus is tender when pierced, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a bowl, mix lemon juice and remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add eggs, olives, capers, and parsley; mix gently to avoid mashing yolks. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3. Mound arugula on a serving platter. Arrange asparagus on arugula and spoon egg salad over asparagus.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note