Roast Turkey With Chestnut Stuffing
- 1 (12- to 13-pound) turkey
- Chestnut Stuffing
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Giblet Gravy
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey; reserve for Giblet Gravy. Rinse turkey thoroughly with cold water, and pat dry. Cover and refrigerate while preparing stuffing.
- Stuff Chestnut Stuffing into cavity of turkey and close cavity with skewers. Tie ends of legs to tail with string or tuck them under band of skin at tail. Lift wingtips up and over back, tucking under bird securely.
- Brush entire bird with vegetable oil, and place breast side up in a roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer in breast or meaty part of thigh, making sure it does not touch bone. Bake at 325° for 3 1/2 hours, basting frequently with pan drippings. Cut the string or band of skin holding the drumstick ends to the tail. Continue baking an additional 30 minutes to 1 hour until drumsticks are easy to move, or meat thermometer registers 185°. If turkey gets too brown, cover lightly with aluminum foil.
- Transfer turkey to serving platter. Skim fat from pan drippings and discard fat. Reserve pan drippings for Giblet Gravy. Let turkey stand 15 minutes before carving. Serve with Giblet Gravy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note