This recipe made a flavorful, moist turkey. My 12.5 lb turkey cooked at 325 faster than the recipe. It was done in 2.5 hours.
Roast Turkey with Apple-Cider Glaze
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 372
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 53.4g
- Carbohydrate: 13.4g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 130mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 524mg
- Calcium: 52mg
- 1 (12-pound) fresh or frozen whole turkey, thawed
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, quartered
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 (1-ounce) bunch parsley sprigs
- 2/3 cup apple butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (10 1/2-ounce) cans low-salt chicken broth
- Cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey; discard, if desired. Rinse turkey thoroughly with cold water; pat dry. Tie ends of legs to tail with cord, or tuck flap of skin around tail. Lift wing tips up and over back, and tuck under bird. Stuff cavities of turkey with quartered apple, onion, and parsley sprigs. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- Combine apple butter, sugar, mustard, and nutmeg in a small bowl; stir well. Spread apple butter mixture under loosened skin and rub into the body cavity. Sprinkle bird with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and ground red pepper.
- Pour broth and enough water to equal 3 cups liquid into the bottom of the pan. Place turkey on a rack coated with cooking spray; place rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer into meaty part of thigh, making sure not to touch bone. Bake at 325° for 3 hours or until thermometer reaches 160°. Cover turkey loosely with foil; let stand 10 minutes. Discard skin.
- Remove turkey from pan, reserving 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid; reserve remaining cooking liquid for another use. Place turkey on a platter. Set aside; keep warm. Pour reserved 1 1/2 cups cooking liquid into a zip-top plastic bag. Snip off 1 corner of bag; drain liquid into measuring cup, reserving 1 cup of broth, and stopping before the fat layer reaches the opening. Drain fat layer into another bowl, reserving 2 tablespoons. Discard remaining fat.
- Combine reserved fat and flour in a medium saucepan over medium heat, and stir until smooth. Stir in reserved 1 cup broth, cider, and milk, and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered 3 minutes, stirring constantly until thick and bubbly. Stir in remaining salt and black pepper. Serve gravy with skinned turkey.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Roast Turkey with Apple-Cider Glaze Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes for Main Dishes