Roast Loin of Bison with Shiitake Mushrooms
Gary Danko, of San Francisco's Restaurant Gary Danko, gave us this recipe. At the restaurant, he uses king trumpet mushrooms, but we've substituted the more readily available shiitake mushrooms. Danko serves this with herb spaetzle and caramelized cipollini onions. Prep and Cook Time: 1 1/2 hours, plus at least 2 hours to marinate. Notes: The flavor of bison is similar to that of beef but slightly sweeter and cleaner, and the meat is very lean. It can easily be ordered online, and quality butchers or gourmet groceries can order it for you if you give them at least a week's notice. Once you've trimmed the meat, tying the loin together with twine for roasting will ensure that it has a neat shape when you slice it.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 219
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Protein: 32g
- Fat: 8.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.5g
- Carbohydrate: 3.3g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Sodium: 95mg
- Cholesterol: 105mg
- 2 1/2 pounds bison loin, trimmed of fat and connective tissue (see Notes)
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed, and cut in half
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt
- 1. Using butcher's twine, tie loin at 1-in. intervals and transfer it to a baking sheet fitted with a metal cooling rack. In a small bowl, combine orange zest, thyme, rosemary, sage, 1/2 cup parsley, juniper berries, and 1 tsp. garlic and pat all over loin. Refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. Roast loin on middle rack of oven until rare, 30 to 40 minutes (125° on a meat thermometer). Remove from oven and let rest, covered with foil, 15 minutes.
- 3. Melt 1 tbsp. butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook until they have stopped giving off liquid and start to brown. Using a wooden spoon, move mushrooms to side of pan. In center of pan, melt remaining 1 tbsp. butter. Quickly stir in remaining 1 tsp. garlic and 2 tbsp. parsley, then combine with mushrooms, stirring occasionally and being careful not to burn the garlic. Stir in cream and salt to taste.
- 4. Remove twine and lightly salt meat. Slice very thin and serve with mushrooms.
- Note: Nutrition analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This