Roast Duckling With Sweet-and-Sour Cabbage
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 ounces duckling and 3/4 cup cabbage mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 294
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 21.8g
- Carbohydrate: 25.7g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 948mg
- Calcium: 66mg
- 1 (4-pound) cleaned domestic duckling (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 4 cups rock salt
- 12 chestnuts or bottled peeled chestnuts
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup chopped peeled Golden Delicious apple
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon juniper berries, crushed
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Remove giblets and neck from duckling; reserve for another use. Rinse duckling under cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, and gently pushing hand between skin and meat.
- Combine 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, coriander, and allspice. Sprinkle spice mixture under loosened skin. Tie ends of legs together with cord. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under duckling.
- Spread rock salt evenly in bottom of a shallow roasting pan. Place duckling, breast side up, on rock salt. Pierce skin several times with a meat fork. Insert meat thermometer into meaty part of thigh, making sure not to touch bone. Bake at 450° for 50 minutes or until thermometer reaches 180°. Cover duckling loosely with foil; let stand 10 minutes. Discard skin before serving.
- Prepare cabbage mixture while duckling roasts. Soak chestnuts in a bowl of water for 30 minutes. Drain. Cut a slit in the shell on the rounded side of the chestnut. (Make sure slit goes the whole way through shell. If not, they will explode.) Arrange chestnuts in a single layer on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave at high 2 minutes. Cool 5 minutes;peel. Chop chestnuts; set aside.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add cabbage, apple, sugar, vinegar, and bay leaf; cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in chestnuts, broth, juniper berries, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook, uncovered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaf. Serve with duckling.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes