Roast Duck with Cherry Sauce
- 1 (5- to 6- pound) dressed duckling
- 1 small orange, quartered
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1 carrot, scraped and quartered
- 1 stalk celery, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Garnishes: fresh cherries, fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs, orange slices
- Cherry Sauce
- Remove giblets and neck from duckling; reserve for another use. Rinse duckling thoroughly with cold water; pat dry with paper towels.
- Rub 1 orange quarter over skin and inside cavity of duckling. Place remaining orange quarters, 2 parsley sprigs, and next 3 ingredients in cavity of duckling; close cavity with skewers. Tie ends of legs together with string. Lift wingtips up and over back, and tuck under duckling.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place duckling on a rack in a shallow roasting pan breast side up. Insert meat thermometer into meaty portion of thigh, making sure it does not touch bone.
- Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 45 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 400°; bake 35 minutes or until meat thermometer registers 180°. Turn duckling often during baking for more even browning and crisping of skin, if desired. Transfer duckling to a serving platter; let stand 10 minutes before carving. Garnish, if desired. Serve with Cherry Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This