Roast Chickens with Vampireproof Garlic Garland
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 635
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Protein: 59g
- Fat: 37g
- Saturated fat: 9.5g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sodium: 180mg
- Cholesterol: 178mg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary leaves or crumbled dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage leaves or dried rubbed sage
- About 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 chickens (about 4 lb. each)
- 8 heads garlic (each 2 in. wide)
- Rosemary sprigs, rinsed
- 1. In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, rosemary leaves, sage, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- 2. Rinse chickens and pat dry. Pull off and discard lumps of fat. Rub olive oil mixture all over chickens and set birds breast up and at least 1 inch apart on a rack in a 12- by 17-inch roasting pan. Rub remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil all over garlic. Place garlic heads on rack beside chickens.
- 3. Roast in a 425° oven until garlic is soft when pressed, about 1 hour, and chickens are well browned and meat is no longer pink at thigh bone (cut to test), 1 to 1 1/4 hours; if garlic is done before chickens, transfer garlic to a dish and keep warm. Tip juices out of body cavities into roasting pan.
- 4. Put chickens on a large platter, surround with garlic heads, and garnish with rosemary sprigs. Keeping chickens warm, let rest 5 to 10 minutes.
- 5. Carve chickens. Separate garlic cloves and squeeze garlic from peels to eat with chicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This