The rub for the chicken is delicious. I wanted to spare us of the butter so I instead cooked the chicken (and potatoes) in the crock pot and added the squash and some carrots in for the last 1-2 hours. I wasn't sure how the squash would turn out in the crock pot but it was great. I also added one whole chopped sweet onion and I think that really added to the flavor. I will definitely make this again.
Roast Chicken with Potatoes and Butternut Squash
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 399
- Fat: 12.1g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 43.8g
- Carbohydrate: 25.9g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 147mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 791mg
- Calcium: 77mg
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) roasting chicken
- Cooking spray
- 12 ounces red potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and sage in a small bowl. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Rub garlic mixture under loosened skin. Place chicken, breast side up, on rack of a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Place rack in broiler pan.
- 3. Combine potatoes, squash, butter, 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Arrange vegetable mixture around chicken. Bake at 400° for 1 hour or until a thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 165°. Let stand 10 minutes. Discard skin.
- Wine note: For an affordable wine to pair with this dish, pick a dry riesling from Washington state, like Chateau Ste. Michelle's 2007 (Columbia Valley; $9). It has peach and orange flavors that create a tempting aromatic package with the sweet flavors of Roast Chicken with Potatoes and Butternut Squash. —Sara Schneider
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes