Roast Chicken with Fennel and Oat Stuffing
Based on the Scottish dish skirlie, the oatmeal side dish is a great accompaniment to roasted poultry or meat. To ensure that everything is ready at the same time, place the stuffing in the oven for the last 20 minutes of the chicken's baking time.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 334
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 10.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 40.3g
- Carbohydrate: 20.1g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 123mg
- Iron: 3.7mg
- Sodium: 662mg
- Calcium: 66mg
- 1 (4 1/2-pound) roasting chicken
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups regular oats
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced leek (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups chopped fennel bulb (about 1 large)
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare chicken, remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Place chicken, breast side up, on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into meaty part of thigh registers 175°. Let chicken stand 10 minutes. Discard skin.
- To prepare stuffing, cook oats in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring frequently. Spoon into a medium bowl.
- Melt butter in pan over medium-high heat. Add leek and fennel; sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Add leek mixture, broth, and remaining ingredients to toasted oats, and stir well to combine. Spoon mixture into a 1-quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with chicken.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This