Made this for dinner tonight and liked that it was quick and easy to make. I substituted chicken breast instead of a whole chicken. We found the salad to be overly pickle tasting (we think due to the dill and lemon) I would recommend halving the portions and tasting before mixing into salad. Also I added feta cheese after I mixed the salad to prevent it from getting mushy... Overall, pretty good will make changes for next time.
Roast Chicken with Arugula Tomato Salad
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 647
- Calories from fat: 63%
- Protein: 48g
- Fat: 45g
- Saturated fat: 13g
- Carbohydrate: 11g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Sodium: 1020mg
- Cholesterol: 159mg
- 1 small chicken (3 lbs.)*
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 4 cups lightly packed baby arugula
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. Using kitchen shears, cut out backbone and neck from chicken and press firmly on chicken to flatten. Set chicken, skin side up, on a rimmed baking sheet and brush with 1 tbsp. oil; sprinkle with 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Bake until no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes.
- 2. Whisk together 1/4 cup oil, the lemon zest and juice, garlic, sugar, and remaining 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper in a bowl.
- 3. Gently toss remaining ingredients in another bowl to combine.
- 4. Quarter chicken. Put salad on plates, top with chicken, and then dressing.
- *If your grocery store doesn't sell small chickens, use a larger one and bake longer. Also, you can ask a butcher to remove the backbone and neck, or buy a quartered chicken.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This