Can't say enough about how great this turned out. I added some peeled and cut up apple into the pot with the roast.That is the only change that I did, when preparing this recipe.
Roast Bison with Velvety Pan Gravy
Photo: Thomas J. Story; Styling: Karen Shinto
Time: 1 1/2 hours. Bison tastes very much like beef. In fact, considering the imposing look of the animal, the meat's flavor is surprisingly mild.
Yield: Serves 8
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 253
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 37g
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Carbohydrate: 3.2g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Sodium: 487mg
- Cholesterol: 121mg
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- About 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 pounds buffalo sirloin tip roast*
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, whisk together cumin, paprika, garlic, coriander, and 1 1/2 tsp. salt. Rub roast with 1 tbsp. oil and pat spice mixture all over roast.
- 2. In a dutch oven or other heavy 5- to 6-qt. pot, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium heat. Brown roast on all sides, about 4 minutes per side, adding another 1/2 tbsp. oil halfway through browning.
- 3. Transfer roast to a plate and wipe pot clean with a paper towel. Add 1/2 tbsp. oil to pot, put roast back in pot, and roast until a meat thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 135°, about 50 minutes.
- 4. Transfer roast to a rimmed cutting board and tent with foil. Add remaining 1 tbsp. oil and the flour to pot and, over medium heat, whisk 1 to 2 minutes to cook flour. Whisk in tomato paste. Slowly whisk in beef broth and bring to a simmer. Cook gravy until thickened slightly, whisking frequently, 7 to 9 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- 5. Slice roast thinly and serve with pan gravy.
- *Available at Whole Foods Markets and by request from your butcher.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes