Roast Beef with Root-Vegetable-and-Green-Peppercorn Salad
Brined green peppercorns are not popular, but they are lovely in a dressing for sweet roasted fall vegetables and roast beef. From Kristin Donnelly. Recipe published in Food & Wine, October 2011.
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1 pound(s) sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound(s) parsnips, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound(s) celery root, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 pound(s) golden beets, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 large unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- One 1 1/2- pound(s) eye of round beef roast, trimmed of visible fat
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon(s) balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) brined green peppercorns, chopped, plus 1 tablespoon of brine
- 1 teaspoon(s) honey
- 4 cup(s) baby arugula (about 3 ounces)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425° and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, toss the potatoes, parsnips, celery root, beets and garlic cloves with 3 tablespoons of the oil and season with salt. Spread the vegetables on the baking sheet and roast on the bottom rack of the oven for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until browned and very tender. Let cool slightly.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a medium ovenproof skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil until shimmering. Season the roast with salt. Add it to the skillet and cook over moderately high heat, turning, until browned all over, about 5 minutes. Transfer the roast to a plate and pour off the fat in the skillet. Add 2 tablespoons of water to the skillet and cook, scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan. Pour the pan juices into the large bowl.
- 3. Return the meat to the skillet and roast in the oven for 25 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 115° for medium-rare meat. Transfer the roast to a board; season with black pepper.
- 4. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves from their skins into the meat juices in the bowl and mash with a fork. Whisk in the vinegar, peppercorns, brine and honey. Add the roasted vegetables to the bowl and toss with the dressing. Add the arugula and toss again.
- 5. Carve the roast into thin slices and serve warm or at room temperature with the salad.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by psfreeman and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note