Very tasty sandwich but I must warn you if you do not have a panini press. The recipe says you can put 2 frying pans together, but my iron skillet would not fit into the top of my regular frying pan, so I reversed them and the tops of the rolls stuck to the bottom of my regular frying pan like they were glued with cement! It made quite a mess. But we ate the sandwiches anyway without their tops & they were a great blending of flavors. I'm going to invest in a panini press and will make these again.
Roast Beef and Two-Chile Grilled Cheese on Onion Rolls
Time: 25 minutes. We love how spicy this sandwich is, but if you prefer less heat, cut back on the chipotle mayo and the green chiles.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 597
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 33g
- Fat: 37g
- Saturated fat: 14g
- Carbohydrate: 33g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 1167mg
- Cholesterol: 89mg
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chiles (about 4)
- 4 onion rolls
- About 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 pound pepper jack cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced rare roast beef
- 4 canned mild green chiles, seeded, split, and dried with paper towels
- 1. Stir together mayonnaise and chipotles and set aside.
- 2. Preheat a panini press* to 350° (medium heat). Brush the outsides of rolls with oil. Split rolls. Spread bottom halves with 1 1/2 tsp. chipotle mayo each, then top each with 2 slices cheese; 2 or 3 slices roast beef; 1 chile, opened up flat; and 2 more slices cheese.
- 3. Spread top halves of rolls with 1 1/2 tsp. chipotle mayo each and place on tops of sandwiches. Grill sandwiches 2 at a time until crisp and bubbling, 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat with remaining 2 sandwiches. Let sandwiches cool slightly, then slice with a serrated knife and serve.
- *If you don't have a panini press, use two pans to achieve the same effect: Cook your sandwiches in a frying pan or cast iron skillet and weight them with a heated cast iron skillet.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per sandwich.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note