Roast Beef Tenderloin with Portobello Mushroom-and-Escarole Gratin and Winter Vegetable Salad
Bradley Ogden takes advantage of the produce markets in northern California by including several baby vegetables in this recipe. You can use what is available in your local markets. Simply cut the vegetables into small pieces; cooking times may vary.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 549
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Fat: 23.5g
- Saturated fat: 9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 9.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 38.7g
- Carbohydrate: 57g
- Fiber: 9.9g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- Iron: 10mg
- Sodium: 1168mg
- Calcium: 386mg
- Winter Vegetable Salad:
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 pearl onions, peeled
- 4 baby parsnips or 2 small parsnips (cut in half), peeled
- 12 thin asparagus spears, trimmed
- 8 baby carrots, peeled
- 12 baby beets, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 (3 1/2-ounce) packages fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems removed (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Portobello Mushroom-and-Escarole Gratin:
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 large portobello mushroom caps
- 14 cups torn escarole (about 1 bunch)
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded fresh Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds, toasted and ground
- Roast Beef Tenderloin:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 (1-pound) beef tenderloin
- Prepare Winter Vegetable Salad:
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Combine 1/4 cup water and pearl onions in a small baking dish; cover and bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Drain, and set aside.
- Cook parsnips in boiling water 10 minutes. Add asparagus and carrots; cook 3 minutes or until tender. Remove vegetables with a slotted spoon and plunge vegetables into ice water; drain again and set aside. Cook beets in boiling water 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and plunge beets into ice water; drain again. Peel beets; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; sauté 1 minute. Add onion and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add 1 cup water, vinegar, and parsley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook 8 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool. Stir in tarragon, salt, and pepper. Set shiitake mushroom sauce aside, and keep warm.
- Prepare Portobello-and-Escarole Gratin:
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a shallow pan; stir well. Arrange mushrooms in a single layer on top of broth mixture, turning to coat. Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes; set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°.
- Cook escarole in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and plunge escarole into ice water; drain again.
- Coat a gratin dish or 9-inch square baking dish with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside. Place 4 mushrooms, stem sides up, in prepared dish; reserve broth mixture. Divide escarole evenly among mushrooms in dish; top with remaining mushrooms, stem sides down. Spoon reserved broth mixture over mushroom stacks.
- Combine breadcrumbs and remaining ingredients in a bowl; stir well. Sprinkle over mushroom stacks. Bake at 425° for 10 minutes or until breadcrumbs are lightly browned. Set aside; keep warm.
- Prepare Roast Beef Tenderloin:
- Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
- Combine 1 teaspoon oil, salt, pepper, and cardamom, and stir well. Spread over all sides of beef. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, and add beef and cook 1 minute on each side or until browned. Place skillet in oven, and bake at 350º for 30 minutes or until a thermometer registers 145º (medium-rare) to 160º (medium). Let stand 10 minutes, and cut into 8 slices.
- To complete recipe:
- Arrange one Portobello-and-Escarole Gratin and 2 slices Roast Beef Tenderloin on each of 4 dinner plates. Divide Winter Vegetable Salad evenly among plates; spoon 1/2 cup shiitake mushroom sauce over each salad serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This