I used maple flavored veggie sausage, egg substitute and 2% sharp cheddar to cut fat and calories. Also sauteed the red bell pepper with the garlic and stirred it into the grits before baking. Outstanding side dish!
RiverSong Giddy-Up Grits
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 331
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 734mg
- Cholesterol: 113mg
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- About 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups (1/2 lb.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can (7 oz.) diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1. Crumble sausage into a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat. Stir often until browned and crumbly, about 6 minutes. Drain off and discard fat. To sausage, add garlic, pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Set aside.
- 2. In a 2- to 3-quart pan, blend grits with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring. Add butter. Cover pan; reduce heat to low. Stir often until grits are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat eggs to blend. Stirring, add cheese, chilies, sausage mixture, and grits. Pour mixture into a buttered shallow 9- by 13-inch baking dish or 2 1/2- to 3-quart casserole.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, in a 350° oven until lightly browned, 40 to 45 minutes. Let stand about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with red bell pepper and cilantro. Cut into pieces and serve with a wide spatula.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch