Riverboat Hash Browns
- 4 large potatoes, boiled, peeled, and coarsely grated (about 4 cups)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings, divided
- Combine grated potatoes, onion, salt, chili powder, and pepper in a large mixing bowl; toss lightly.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons bacon drippings in a heavy 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add potato mixture, spreading evenly over bottom of skillet using a spatula. Press potatoes down forming a flat cake. Use spatula to loosen edges from side of skillet, if necessary. Cook 10 minutes or until bottom is browned and crusty.
- Remove skillet from heat. Place a large plate over skillet; invert potato cake onto plate.
- Melt remaining butter and bacon drippings in skillet over medium heat; slide potato cake back into skillet. Cook 10 minutes or until bottom is browned and crusty. Invert onto a serving plate. Cut into wedges, and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note