This was my first time making risotto so I was very careful to follow the directions exactly as written, and it turned out wonderful! Will definitely be making this again!
Risotto with Sugar Snap Peas and Spring Leeks
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Jan Gautro
Use both the white and light green portions of the leek.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 400
- Calories from fat: 20%
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 15.3g
- Carbohydrate: 59.6g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 936mg
- Calcium: 275mg
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch thick) sliced leek
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Cook peas in boiling water for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add leek and carrot; sauté 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add rice; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup broth; cook 5 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring frequently. Stir in 1/2 cup broth, vermouth, salt, and oregano. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes). Add peas; cook 4 minutes. Stir in cheese and remaining ingredients.
- Wine note: Why not mirror all the wonderful greeness of the sugar snap peas and leeks with a wine that's got its own green drama going on? A great bet, and a steal: Brancott Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc from Marlborough, New Zealand(about $10).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables