This is an absolute favorite in our house. I never add the fava beans (thus eliminating a few calories), but otherwise follow the recipe as written. It is constantly requested. The patience and time while stirring and adding liquid in stages is worth it - don't rush!
Risotto with Spring Vegetables and Smoked Ham
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 439
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 19.7g
- Carbohydrate: 59.4g
- Fiber: 9.8g
- Cholesterol: 30.5mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 758mg
- Calcium: 173mg
- 3/4 cup shelled fava beans (about 1 1/2 pounds unshelled)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups (1-inch) slices asparagus (about 1/2 pound)
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 small)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped smoked ham (about 3 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup shelled green peas (about 1 pound unshelled)
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Cook beans in boiling water 1 minute; drain. Plunge beans into ice water; drain. Remove tough outer skins from beans; discard skins. Set aside.
- 2. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add asparagus to pan; cook 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove asparagus from pan with a slotted spoon; rinse under cold water. Set aside. Add broth to boiling water; reduce heat. Keep warm over low heat. Reserve 3/4 cup broth mixture; keep warm.
- 3. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and ham to pan; cook 10 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in wine, and cook 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add the remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes total).
- 4. Stir in peas, reserved beans, and reserved asparagus. Add reserved 3/4 cup broth mixture, stirring until liquid is absorbed (about 4 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup cheese, cream, butter, salt, and pepper. Place about 1 cup risotto into each of 6 shallow bowls; sprinkle each serving with 2 teaspoons remaining cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes