We really liked this risotto. It has a great mix of vegetables and the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese was a great flavor. Our complaint is that the recipe as written is pretty expensive with the fava bean, cheese and saffron. We did not use the saffron since it is quite costly, but we did use the fava beans. However we didn't think that the fava beans added anything special...and considering the price of a bag ($8), we likley will use another white bean in it's place next time. The cheese was worth the additional cost compared to just parmesan. As for the asparagus, I did add it with the last round of chicken stock since I knew I wanted it to be slightly steamed. We will make this again.
Risotto with Spring Vegetables
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
Saffron adds a hint of color and exotic flavor.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 371
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 21.8g
- Carbohydrate: 54.8g
- Fiber: 3.4g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 354mg
- Calcium: 221mg
- 2 cups shelled fava beans (about 1 1/2 pounds unshelled)
- 1/2 cup fresh green peas
- 4 cups Homemade Chicken Stock
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup uncooked Carnaroli or Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 8 ounces thin asparagus, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1. Cook beans in boiling water 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain. Remove tough outer skins from beans; discard skins. Cook peas in boiling water 2 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain well.
- 2. Bring Homemade Chicken Stock to a simmer in a small saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- 3. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add shallots and carrot to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add rice and saffron; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine; cook 30 seconds or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add 1 cup stock; cook 4 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of stock is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes total). Stir in fava beans, peas, and asparagus with last addition of stock. Remove from heat; stir in cheese, parsley, salt, and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes