I have made this recipe several times and it is so simple and delicious. I love that it uses the asparagus broth for the flavor. I don't change a thing and it is a hit at my house. It turns out the most creamy when you are standing there and stirring it constantly, making sure the liquid is completely absorbed before you add more.
Risotto with Shrimp and Asparagus
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 pound unpeeled medium-size fresh shrimp
- 6 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 pound fresh asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired. Set aside.
- Bring 6 1/2 cups water and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a boil in a 3 1/2-quart saucepan. Add asparagus pieces, and cook 4 minutes. Remove asparagus with a slotted spoon, and set aside, reserving broth in pan over low heat to keep warm.
- Sauté diced onion in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat 6 minutes or until tender and golden.
- Add 1 1/2 cups rice, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; add 1 cup reserved hot asparagus broth. Cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed.
- Repeat procedure with remaining hot broth, 1/2 cup at a time (cooking time is about 20 minutes). Add shrimp and asparagus pieces, and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Remove from heat; stir in salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note