Risotto with Peas and Greens
Community Recipe from
- 1 quart(s) vegetable stock
- 1 whole(s) lemon
- 2 tablespoon(s) olive oil
- 1/2 whole(s) yellow onion finely diced
- 1 whole(s) leek finely diced
- 2 whole(s) garlic cloves finely minced
- 6 whole(s) sprigs of thyme (just the leaves)
- 1 cup(s) arborio rice
- 2 cup(s) baby spinach (or other baby green)
- 1 cup(s) peas (frozen are fine!)
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1. Warm the vegetable stock in a small pot on a back burner over low heat.
- 2. Zest the lemon, juice it, and set both the zest and juice aside.
- 3. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot set over high heat. Add the onion and leek and immediately turn the heat to medium. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the vegetables soften. Add the garlic and thyme leaves and a pinch of kosher salt. Cook another 2 minutes.
- 4. Turn the heat to high, add the rice and the reserved lemon juice and stir to combine. Cook until the lemon juice evaporates and then stir in a ladleful of the warm stock. Continue to stir until the stock is absorbed. Then stir in another ladleful and stir until combined. Continue in this manner until all the stock is used, about 20 minutes.
- 5. Stir in the reserved lemon zest, the greens and peas (these will cook with the risotto's heat), the basil and a few shakes of black pepper. Serve immediately.
- **Alternative for kids: after step 4, put rice on kids' plates and serve separately the greens and peas. It is still a hearty vegetarian dinner. And have them taste the combined dish as well.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CKSchirmeier and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Risotto with Peas and Greens Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes