This was my first time making risotto and I was a little nervous. This dish was simple and easy to follow. It was fabulous! Even my four children loved it! This is definitely a keeper. I would even serve it to company for a dinner party with a nice red wine!
Risotto with Mushrooms
Although varieties of wild mushrooms are often featured in Venetian fare, we use dried porcini, shiitakes, and cremini, available in most American stores.
Yield: 7 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 291
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 9.8g
- Carbohydrate: 45.4g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 718mg
- Calcium: 124mg
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 1/2 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 3 cups coarsely chopped cremini mushrooms (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups sliced shiitake mushrooms (about 3 1/2 ounces)
- 1 3/4 cups Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Combine 2 cups hot water and porcini mushrooms in a bowl; cover and let stand 15 minutes. Drain mushrooms in a colander over a bowl, reserving soaking liquid. Coarsely chop mushrooms.
- Bring soaking liquid and broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Add porcini, cremini, and shiitake mushrooms; cook 8 minutes or until tender. Add rice; sauté 1 minute. Stir in sage, salt, and pepper. Stir in 1 cup broth mixture; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed; stirring constantly. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth mixture is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes total). Remove from heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon butter and cheese, stirring until cheese melts.
- Wine note: Here's a great vegetarian risotto that's perfect with red wine because of all the mushrooms. Try the northern Italian red Barbera called â€œLe Ormeâ€� from Michele Chiarlo. The 2005, with earthy, dried cherry flavors, is $13. —Karen MacNeil
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables