This was delicious. The bitter greens played nicely off the sweeter onions and the sausage added a nice rich flavor. The sausage should be cooked until its truly brown (not until it has just lost its pink) for maximum taste -- which probably takes more like six minutes, not four.
Risotto with Italian Sausage, Caramelized Onions, and Bitter Greens
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
Sweet onions and salty cheese temper the bitterness of arugula, which cuts the starchy richness of the rice. Garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 390
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 21.1g
- Carbohydrate: 53.1g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 54mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 900mg
- Calcium: 104mg
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 1 large)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 8 ounces sweet turkey Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 cup Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 2 cups arugula leaves
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1. Bring broth and 1/2 cup water to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- 2. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and sugar to pan; sauté 7 minutes or until onion is golden. Place onion mixture in a small bowl; set aside.
- 3. Removing casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add chopped shallots; sauté 2 minutes. Add Arborio rice; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in white wine; cook 45 seconds or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup hot broth; cook 2 minutes or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Remove from heat; stir in reserved onion, arugula, and remaining ingredients.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes