this was one of the best things i have ever made! it was amazingly delicious. i might have added a little bit more cheese, but otherwise, followed the recipe.
Risotto with Fresh Mozzarella, Grape Tomatoes, and Basil
We liked the way sweet grape tomatoes, creamy mozzarella, and luscious risotto combine in this recipe from Mary Alayne Long first published in December 2003.
Yield: 6 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 378
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 12.1g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 13.2g
- Carbohydrate: 51.6g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 24mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 777mg
- Calcium: 178mg
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 4 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped leek
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 5 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, finely diced
- Place vinegar in a small, heavy saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until slightly syrupy and reduced to 1 tablespoon (about 4 minutes). Set aside.
- Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add leek to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, and cook 1 minute or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup broth; cook 5 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 25 minutes total). Stir in half-and-half, salt, and pepper; cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in tomatoes, basil, and cheese. Place about 1 cup risotto into each of 6 shallow serving bowls; drizzle each serving with 1/2 teaspoon balsamic syrup and 1/2 teaspoon oil.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables