Risotto With Fennel, Pear, and Prosciutto
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice (short-grain)
- 3 to 3 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 firm Bosc pears, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium-size fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Stir together first 3 ingredients and 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a 2 1/2-liter microwave-safe glass bowl. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes. Stir in rice, and microwave at HIGH 2 minutes.
- 2. Stir in 2 3/4 cups broth and 1/4 cup wine. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. (Do not vent.) Microwave at HIGH 9 minutes. Carefully swirl mixture in bowl, without uncovering, to incorporate mixture. Microwave at HIGH 8 minutes. Carefully remove and discard plastic wrap. Stir in cheese and 1/4 cup chicken broth, stirring 30 seconds to 1 minute or until creamy. Add remaining 1/4 cup broth, 1 Tbsp. at a time, if necessary, for desired consistency.
- 3. Sauté pears and fennel in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 7 minutes or until tender and golden. Stir in prosciutto, and cook 1 minute or until slightly browned. Stir pear mixture into risotto. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- Note: We tested with RiceSelect Arborio Italian-Style Rice and an 1,100-watt microwave oven. We found that self-sealing plastic wraps do not work in this application.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note