The radicchio made the risotto so bitter it was inedible, had to throw the entire dish out.
Risotto with Champagne and Radicchio
You can prepare this refined risotto up to two days ahead. Cook it until it's almost done, through step two. Spread the hot mixture evenly in a jelly-roll pan to cool it quickly. Refrigerate until you're ready to reheat it. Add a little extra broth while it's warming, and pick up with step three of the recipe.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 234
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 7.2g
- Carbohydrate: 33.1g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 0.4mg
- Sodium: 365mg
- Calcium: 97mg
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 2 cups uncooked Arborio rice or other medium-grain rice
- 2 cups Champagne, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced radicchio
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Bring broth and 1 cup water to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan, and cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add rice; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 1/2 cups Champagne; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Stir in broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Remove from heat.
- Stir in remaining 1/2 cup Champagne, radicchio, 1/2 cup cheese, butter, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Let stand 5 minutes. Serve with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note