Some of my favorite ingredients combine outstandingly in this simple recipe.
Risotto with Asparagus, Fennel, and Leeks
Risotto primavera is popular throughout Italy, Venice in particular. Fennel, asparagus, and leeks - all harbingers of spring - team up in this creamy rice dish.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 267
- Calories from fat: 13%
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 9.1g
- Carbohydrate: 47.7g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 486mg
- Calcium: 98mg
- 5 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 2 large)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 1 small bulb)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) diagonally cut asparagus
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/8 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; add the leek and fennel, and sauté for 5 minutes or until tender. Add the rice, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in the wine, and cook for 1 minute or until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup broth, and cook until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add the asparagus, rosemary, black pepper, and remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of the broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 15 minutes total). Stir in grated cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables