Very nice flavors in the rice. The veggies on top were fine, but I may sub other veggies that we like better than yellow squash - like mushrooms. I varied the recipe by adding a little chopped shrimp to the veggies in the last 3 minutes of cooking. We really liked what the shrimp added & ate it as a main dish. Served with a green salad and asiago toasts. We plan to make again!
Serving the vegetables atop the risotto creates an impressive presentation and ensures that their flavor isn't lost in the rich, creamy rice.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup risotto, 1/2 cup vegetables, and 2 teaspoons cheese)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 330
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 5.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 10.6g
- Carbohydrate: 54.8g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 760mg
- Calcium: 149mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups (2-inch) diagonally cut asparagus
- 2 cups chopped yellow squash
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup water
- 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped leek
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- To prepare vegetables, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and next 4 ingredients (asparagus through garlic); cook 10 minutes or until asparagus is crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Set aside; keep warm.
- To prepare risotto, combine water and broth in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leek; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine, and cook 1 minute. Stir in 1 cup broth mixture, and cook 4 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Stir in 1/4 cup cheese, thyme, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Divide the risotto evenly among 6 plates; top each serving with vegetables. Sprinkle servings evenly with 1/4 cup cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables