It's very hard to get these patties to shape correctly. I'd stir white cornmeal into the risotto mixture next time, then use a second coating of cornmeal on the exterior. Too much onion, but the pine nuts and earthy mushrooms are great.
Risotto Cakes with Pine Nuts
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 229
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 6.2g
- Carbohydrate: 37.2g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 214mg
- Calcium: 32mg
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup white cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Bring water and broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm over low heat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and chopped onion, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the rice, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/2 cup broth mixture, and cook until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Add the remaining broth mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes total). Remove the rice mixture from heat, and stir in the parsley, pine nuts, salt, and pepper.
- Spread the rice mixture onto a baking sheet, and chill for 20 minutes. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Dredge patties in cornmeal.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 patties, and cook for 4 minutes. Carefully turn patties over; cook for 4 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Repeat the procedure with 1 tablespoon oil and 4 patties.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables