- 1 (32-ounce) container fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons regular olive oil or lemon-infused olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup frozen petite green peas
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- calories 148
- fat 2.4 g
- satfat 0.7 g
- protein 6.4 g
- carbohydrate 26.6 g
- fiber 2.3 g
- cholesterol 2 mg
- iron 0.4 mg
- sodium 494 mg
- calcium 45 mg
How to Make It
Bring broth to a boil in a large saucepan; reduce heat to a very low simmer.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add rice; cook 2 minutes. Add about two-thirds of hot broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining broth; simmer an additional 5 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in peas, cheese, salt, and pepper.
Risi e Bisi (REE-see eh BEE-see), or "rice and peas" is a classic Venetian dish served in spring when baby green peas have just been harvested.