Rigatoni with Sirloin and Gorgonzola Sauce
This full-flavored dish will satisfy the hardiest of appetites. Roquefort cheese would also taste terrific in the sauce.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 pound sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, stems removed, caps cut in half and then sliced crosswise
- 1 shallot or 2 scallions including green tops, minced
- 3/4 cup canned low-sodium chicken broth or homemade stock
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 ounces Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 pound rigatoni
- 1. In a large frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over moderate heat. Season the steak with 1/4 teaspoon each of the salt and pepper and add it to the pan. Brown on all sides, about 4 minutes, and remove. The meat should be medium rare.
- 2. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the hot pan, along with the mushrooms and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cook for about 2 minutes. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and add to the steak.
- 3. Add the shallot, broth, and Worcestershire sauce to the hot pan. Cook, stirring, to dislodge any browned bits that cling to the bottom of the pan. Simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 1/3 cup, approximately 5 minutes.
- 4. Add the cheese and the cream to the pan along with the steak and mushrooms and any accumulated juices, the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and the parsley. Simmer to heat through, about 1 minute.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the rigatoni until just done, about 14 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss it with the sauce.
- Wine Recommendation: Gorgonzola is salty, sharp, and assertive, which makes it tough to pair with wine. Your best bet is a straightforward red with fine acidity, such as a barbera from the Piedmont region of Italy or a Beaujolais-Villages from France.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes