This recipe is good but I made it healthier by substituting chicken sausage and fat free half and half. I also used 3 ounces of pasta per person rather than 4 and found we had plenty of food. I did not like the parsley as I felt it took away from the sausage flavor - substitute basil instead. If you like more spice to your meal, add a little crushed red pepper as well. I really like that it was relative quick to make companred to many Italian based meals as well.
Rigatoni with Sausage and Tomato Cream Sauce
Tubes of rigatoni hold the tomato sauce, giving you a burst of creamy flavor with every bite. Use either hot or mild Italian sausage here, depending on your preference.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds mild or hot Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups canned crushed tomatoes in thick puree (from a 15-ounce can)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 pound rigatoni
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
- 1. In a large frying pan, heat the oil over moderate heat. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat with a fork, until it is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the sausage from the pan. Discard all but 1 tablespoon fat.
- 2. Reduce the heat to moderately low. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook until it almost evaporates, about 5 minutes. Stir in the sausage,tomatoes, and salt. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add the pepper, parsley, and cream.
- 3. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook the rigatoni until just done, about 14 minutes. Drain the pasta and toss with the sauce. Serve with grated Parmesan.
- Wine Recommendation: A Chianti Classico Riserva is the wine of choice with this dish. Look for a wine with a few years of age; it will be mellower and will complement the sauce better than a younger wine could.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes