I LOVE this recipe. I tried it for the first time with my Mom about 5 years ago, and we both have been making it for our families ever since. I use whole wheat pasta and up the chicken broth a little to make it a tad more moist. I also up the fresh basil as well - simply because I love fresh basil. Overall, a fantastic weeknight meal.
Rigatoni With Sausage and Bell Peppers
- 1 (16-ounce) box rigatoni pasta
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 medium-size red onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Cook sausage in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.
- Sauté onion and bell peppers in hot oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat 6 minutes. Add garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Stir in sausage, cooked pasta, chicken broth, crushed red pepper, and black pepper. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Transfer to a serving dish, and top evenly with basil and cheese. Serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note