Very good and hearty dish - I skimped on the cooking time in a couple steps, and wish I hadn't, since it made the eggplant more firm than I would have preferred. Next time I would dice the eggplant smaller and simmer it in the crushed tomatoes while sauteing the other vegetables. It's a LOT of food! Great if you're feeding a crowd or one hungry boyfriend with enough leftover for weekday lunches. Served with a hearty syrah, and would also be great with a green salad. Will continue to work on refining this dish!
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 346
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 15.7g
- Carbohydrate: 45.7g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 397mg
- Calcium: 224mg
- 1 pound uncooked rigatoni
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 5 1/2 cups diced peeled eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups thinly sliced Walla Walla or other sweet onion (about 1 large)
- 1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (about 6)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can organic crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook pasta according to the package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant to pan, and sauté 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in pan over medium heat. Add garlic to pan, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add sweet onion, zucchini, and green onions to pan; cook for 6 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add chopped basil, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine pasta, eggplant, and tomato mixture in a large bowl; stir in shredded mozzarella. Transfer the pasta mixture to a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes; uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note