Very good and hearty dish - I skimped on the cooking time in a couple steps, and wish I hadn't, since it made the eggplant more firm than I would have preferred. Next time I would dice the eggplant smaller and simmer it in the crushed tomatoes while sauteing the other vegetables. It's a LOT of food! Great if you're feeding a crowd or one hungry boyfriend with enough leftover for weekday lunches. Served with a hearty syrah, and would also be great with a green salad. Will continue to work on refining this dish!
"This is an easy and delicious meal. Allowing this entrée to stand about 20 minutes after baking allows the flavors to meld." --Lorraine Fina Stevenski, Clearwater, FL
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: about 2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 346
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 15.7g
- Carbohydrate: 45.7g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 397mg
- Calcium: 224mg
- 1 pound uncooked rigatoni
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 5 1/2 cups diced peeled eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups thinly sliced Walla Walla or other sweet onion (about 1 large)
- 1 large zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onions (about 6)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can organic crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cook pasta according to the package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggplant to pan, and sauté 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in pan over medium heat. Add garlic to pan, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add sweet onion, zucchini, and green onions to pan; cook for 6 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add chopped basil, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and tomatoes to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine pasta, eggplant, and tomato mixture in a large bowl; stir in shredded mozzarella. Transfer the pasta mixture to a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with Parmesan cheese. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes; uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note