- 2 1/2 cups (about 11 7/8 oz.) soft winter wheat self-rising flour (such as White Lily), plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup (4 oz.) salted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 3/4 cup whole buttermilk, chilled
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese, chilled
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (such as Cholula)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 475°F. Lightly dust a parchment paper-lined baking sheet with flour. Set aside.
Place flour in a large bowl. Using a pastry cutter, cut cubed butter into flour until crumbly and mixture resembles small peas. Stir in chives. Chill 10 minutes. Whisk together buttermilk and ricotta. Using a fork, gently stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until incorporated.
Turn dough out onto prepared baking sheet. Press into a 10- x 6-inch rectangle. Fold in half so that short ends meet. Repeat procedure of pressing dough into a 10- x 6-inch rectangle and folding 3 times. Press dough into a 10- x 6-inch rectangle. Using a 2 1/4-inch round cutter, cut 4 evenly spaced circles from dough rectangle, leaving at least 1/2 inch between circles. Carefully remove dough rounds, leaving dough rectangle intact. Place dough rounds on edge of sheet pan beside dough rectangle. Bake in preheated oven until edges are lightly browned, 10 to 12 minutes.
Break eggs into circles in biscuit rectangle. Return to oven, and bake until egg whites are set, 6 to 7 minutes.
Brush biscuit rectangle and biscuit rounds evenly with melted butter. Drizzle evenly with hot sauce, and sprinkle with parsley.