Rick's Pork and Vegetable Hot Pots
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 332
- Calories from fat: 38%
- Protein: 26g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Carbohydrate: 24g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Sodium: 306mg
- Cholesterol: 77mg
- 1 pound fat-trimmed boned pork shoulder or butt
- 3/4 pound slender eggplant
- 1 red bell pepper (1/2 lb.)
- 1 onion (1/2 lb.)
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots (6 oz. total), thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, rinsed and quartered
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons shao hsing wine (rice wine) or dry sherry
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- Soy sauce
- Thinly sliced green onions
- 1. Cut meat into 3/4-inch chunks.
- 2. Trim and discard eggplant stems. Cut eggplant into 3/4-inch chunks.
- 3. Stem and seed bell pepper. Cut into 3/4-inch chunks.
- 4. Peel onion and cut into 3/4-inch chunks.
- 5. Place a 5- to 6-quart pan over high heat. Add 2 teaspoons oil and swirl to coat pan. Add pork and garlic; stir occasionally until lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Pour from pan into a bowl.
- 6. To pan, add 1 teaspoon oil, onion, carrots, and mushrooms; stir-fry over high heat until onion begins to brown, about 10 minutes.
- 7. Add hoisin sauce, wine, broth, and pork. Stir until boiling to release browned bits in pan. Cover and simmer over low heat 10 minutes; stir often.
- 8. Add eggplant and bell pepper to pan. Mix, cover, and simmer over low heat until pork is very tender when pierced, 30 to 40 minutes longer; stir occasionally.
- 9. Add sesame oil and soy sauce to taste. Garnish portions with green onions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews