Rich Poultry Broth
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 27
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Protein: 1.8g
- Fat: 0.8g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrate: 3.6g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Sodium: 68mg
- Cholesterol: 1.9mg
- Neck and giblets from a 14- to 23-pound turkey, rinsed
- 1 chicken breast half (about 1/2 lb.), rinsed
- 2 stalks celery (about 1/4 lb.), rinsed and cut into chunks
- 1 carrot (about 1/4 lb.), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 onion (about 1/2 lb.), peeled and quartered
- 2 or 3 parsley sprigs
- 1 fresh or dried bay leaf
- 5 or 6 black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1. Reserve turkey liver for other uses. In a 5- to 6-quart pan, combine turkey neck, gizzard, and heart with chicken breast, celery, carrot, onion, parsley, bay leaf, peppercorns, cloves, vinegar, and 6 cups water.
- 2. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer until gizzard is tender when pierced, about 1 1/2 hours. Pour liquid through a fine strainer into a bowl; spoon off and discard fat. If you have more than 2 cups broth, return to pan and boil over high heat to reduce; if less, add water to make 2 cups total.
- 3. When meats are cool to touch, discard skin and bones; finely chop meats and reserve for cornbread-chestnut dressing. Discard vegetables.
- Nutritional analysis per 1/2 cup.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note