So-so recipe; kind of bland. still haven't figured out how to get a smoother texture on my soups. WWers points plus value of 3pts per serving is nice.
Rich Mushroom Soup
This smooth and satisfying soup can also be made with 2% milk rather than 1% and half-and-half. Any combination of fresh mushrooms works just fine.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 114
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 3.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g
- Protein: 7.1g
- Carbohydrate: 13.3g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 1.9mg
- Sodium: 341mg
- Calcium: 72mg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1 ounce)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 1/2 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps (about 1 pound mushrooms)
- 2 (8-ounce) packages presliced button mushrooms
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- Place flour in a small skillet over medium-high heat; cook 2 minutes or until flour turns light brown, stirring constantly. Transfer the flour to a small plate; cool.
- Combine boiling water and porcini mushrooms in a bowl; cover and let steep 20 minutes. Strain porcini mushrooms through a sieve over a bowl, reserving the soaking liquid. Chop the mushrooms.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, thyme, salt, and pepper; sauté 30 seconds. Add shiitake mushrooms; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add button mushrooms; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add chopped porcini mushrooms and broth to pan.
- Combine reserved porcini soaking liquid with toasted flour, stirring with a whisk, and add to pan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add milk; simmer 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half and sherry. Place 2 cups soup in a blender; process until smooth. Return pureed soup to pan. Warm soup over low heat for 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Divide soup among each of 8 bowls, and sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This