Rich, Dense Chocolate-Pecan Torte
A dollop of unsweetened whipped cream suits this torte that tastes like a buttery toffee bar.
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, chilled and cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 ounces sweet baking chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- Unsweetened whipped cream
- Line bottom of an 8" springform pan with wax paper or parchment paper.
- Position knife blade in food processor bowl; add first 5 ingredients. Pulse 10 to 12 times or until pecans are finely chopped and mixture is combined. Firmly press mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake at 325° for 14 minutes; cool in pan on a wire rack. Carefully remove sides of springform pan. Invert crust onto a serving plate. Carefully remove bottom of pan and paper. Replace sides of springform pan around crust on plate.
- Place chocolates in top of a double boiler; bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook until chocolate melts. Remove from heat.
- Bring whipping cream to a simmer in a saucepan over medium heat (do not boil). Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot cream into egg yolk; add to remaining hot cream, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium heat just until mixture reaches 160°. Gradually whisk cream mixture into melted chocolate, stirring until thick and blended. Pour chocolate over crust in prepared pan. Cover and chill thoroughly.
- Run a knife around edge of pan and carefully remove sides of pan. Let torte stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Top each serving with whipped cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Rich, Dense Chocolate-Pecan Torte Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts, Cakes/Frostings
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Gifts, Make-Ahead
- CUISINE: American
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Chocolate, Nuts
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Meatless
- COOKING METHOD: Food Processor
- OCCASION: Christmas, Easter, Father's Day, Halloween, July 4th, Labor Day, Memorial Day, Mother's Day, New Year's, Super Bowl, Thanksgiving, Birthdays/Anniversaries
- PUBLICATION: Oxmoor House
More Recipes Like This