Preheat oven to 350°. Stir together first 3 ingredients. Firmly press on bottom and up sides of a 9-inch tart pan. Bake 8 to 9 minutes or until fragrant. Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes.
Bring cream to a boil in a 3-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat.
Process chocolate in a food processor or blender until finely ground. With processor running, pour hot cream and vanilla through food chute in a slow, steady stream, processing until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
Pour mixture into cooled crust. Chill, uncovered, 3 hours. Garnish, if desired.
This was extremely easy to make. If you don't want to/can't wait three hours, do this:
1. Make and bake the crust as the recipe dictates.
2. Freeze the crust, uncovered, for twenty minutes.
3. Prepare the chocolate filling as instructed and pour into crust.
4. Freeze the tart for half an hour, uncovered.
This tart is indeed extremely rich - no need to cut yourself a giant slice!
1. If you have a tart pan whose edges are less than an inch high, you can halve the filling; I had a ton left over.
2. Also, the crust is delicious, so a thin layer of filling is best so you can enjoy both flavors.
3. We used cinnamon graham crackers instead of gingersnaps.
This pie is amazing! But you do have to like dark chocolate. Some of my children do and some don't. It works without a food processor, too. I just broke the chocolate up into small pieces and whisked the boiling cream into it by hand. Delicious!
I made this tart for a party last month. It was fabulous! I used semi sweet chocolate chips, and it was very easy to make. It was rich, chocolatety goodness!! It was a great hit! I plan on making it again for an upcoming christmas party.
The recipe called for bittersweet chocolate and the dessert was just that--very bitter. It was like eating a bar of biitersweet chocolate, even with the addition of the heavy. cream. It did not turn out creamy either. It was as hard as a rock. We had prepared it for a dinner party and the dessert was a disaster.
Sign Up for our Newsletter
Join our newsletter for free recipes, healthy living inspiration, and special offers.