A wonderfully creamy rice pudding with great vanilla flavor. Loved the pomegranate sauce - tasted midway between a fruity maple syrup and cran juice cocktail! Didn't love the pomegranate seeds sprinkled on top - their crunch detracted from the creaminess of the rice pudding itself.
Rice Pudding with Pomegranate Syrup
Photo: Karry Hosford
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 296
- Calories from fat: 18%
- Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 7.7g
- Carbohydrate: 53.1g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 52mg
- Iron: 0.5mg
- Sodium: 131mg
- Calcium: 171mg
- 3 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk, divided
- 1/2 cup uncooked Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large pomegranates, halved crosswise
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- To prepare pudding, combine 3 cups milk, rice, 1/3 cup sugar, and butter in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Combine 1/2 cup milk and egg, stirring with a whisk. Gradually stir about one-fourth of warm rice mixture into egg mixture; add to pan, stirring constantly. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- To prepare syrup, squeeze juice from the pomegranate halves using a citrus reamer or juicer to measure 1 cup. Combine juice and 1/4 cup sugar in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until reduced to 1/3 cup (about 20 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Drizzle the syrup evenly over pudding, and sprinkle with seeds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts