Rice and Ham Croquettes with Tomato Sauce
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Sarah Cave
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 20 Minutes
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced country ham or prosciutto (about 6 oz.)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green onions, white and light green parts only
- 1 (3-oz.) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/4 cups panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- Vegetable oil
- Tomato Sauce, warm
- 1. Preheat oven to 225°. Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl until blended; season with salt and pepper to taste. Lightly beat 1 egg, and gently stir into rice mixture until blended. Stir together milk and remaining egg in a small bowl until blended; place breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- 2. Form rice mixture into 1-inch balls, using wet hands. Dip balls in egg mixture, and roll in breadcrumbs, shaking off excess.
- 3. Pour oil to depth of 1 1/2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat over medium-high heat to 340°. Fry croquettes, in batches, 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer to an oven-safe platter lined with paper towels, and keep warm in a 225° oven. Serve croquettes with warm Tomato Sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes