Rice Gratin with Spinach and Leeks
The fiber in this gratin comes from the whole wheat breadcrumbs, brown rice, spinach, and leeks.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 251
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.0g
- Protein: 15.3g
- Carbohydrate: 29.8g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Cholesterol: 91mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 382mg
- Calcium: 408mg
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 (1-ounce) slice whole wheat bread
- 1 tablespoon light butter
- 1 1/4 cups thinly sliced leeks (about 2)
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 2/3 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Swiss cheese, divided
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1. Cook rice in 1 cup water according to package directions to yield 2 cups cooked rice.
- 2. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 3. Place bread in a food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs measure 1/4 cup.
- 4. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add leek; sauté 6 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; stir well. Add milk; increase heat to medium-high, and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a simmer. Reduce heat; simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add rice, 1/2 cup cheese, and next 5 ingredients. Stir. Spoon into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray. Combine remaining cheese and breadcrumbs; sprinkle over gratin. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until set. Cool in dish 5 minutes on a wire rack.
- carbo rating: 27
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This