Good, but to be great, needs some more herbs - more basil, and either dried or fresh oregano, and I would bake the tomato mixture in with the rest of the stuffing, instead of cooking the eggplant over the tomatoes, which felt strange.
Rice and Feta-Stuffed Baby Eggplant
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 eggplant halves)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 256
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 7.9g
- Carbohydrate: 40.1g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 810mg
- Calcium: 132mg
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 6 baby eggplants (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked brown basmati rice
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine tomato, dry white wine, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish; spread evenly.
- Scoop pulp from eggplant halves, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells. Chop pulp. Sprinkle inside surfaces of eggplant shells with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet oven medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in eggplant pulp, basil, and jalapeño; cover, reduce heat, and cook over low heat 10 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Remove from heat; stir in rice, cheese, and parsley.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup eggplant mixture into each eggplant shell, pressing gently; place shells, cut sides up, over tomato mixture in baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake an additional 15 minutes or until shells are tender. Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato mixture over each eggplant half. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes