Good, but to be great, needs some more herbs - more basil, and either dried or fresh oregano, and I would bake the tomato mixture in with the rest of the stuffing, instead of cooking the eggplant over the tomatoes, which felt strange.
Rice and Feta-Stuffed Baby Eggplant
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 3 eggplant halves)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 256
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 7.9g
- Carbohydrate: 40.1g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 810mg
- Calcium: 132mg
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 6 baby eggplants (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut in half lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup cooked brown basmati rice
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- Parsley sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine tomato, dry white wine, sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish; spread evenly.
- Scoop pulp from eggplant halves, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells. Chop pulp. Sprinkle inside surfaces of eggplant shells with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet oven medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in eggplant pulp, basil, and jalapeño; cover, reduce heat, and cook over low heat 10 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Remove from heat; stir in rice, cheese, and parsley.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup eggplant mixture into each eggplant shell, pressing gently; place shells, cut sides up, over tomato mixture in baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake an additional 15 minutes or until shells are tender. Spoon about 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato mixture over each eggplant half. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note