Rice and Sweet Corn Porridge with Dried Scallops
Corey Lee's summery porridge is a cross between traditional Chinese congee and Italian risotto.
More From Food & Wine
Total: 1 Hour, 30 Minutes
- 8 (1 ounce) dried scallops, see Note
- 6 (1/2 ounce) dried wood ear mushrooms, see Note
- 2 ears of corn, kernels cut off, cobs cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 2 quarts plus 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (large; 7 ounces) chicken thigh
- 1 piece (2 inches) ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced 1/2 inch thick, plus 1/2 cup celery leaves
- 1 1/2 cups short grain or sushi rice, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- Put the scallops and mushrooms in 2 small separate bowls and cover with water. Let stand at room temperature overnight.
- In a small saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the corn kernels until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain.
- In a large saucepan, combine the chicken broth, corn cobs, chicken thigh, ginger and sliced celery and bring to a simmer. Cover partially and simmer over low heat until the chicken is cooked through, 30 minutes. Strain the broth and reserve the chicken thigh. You should have about 5 1/2 cups of broth.
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Measure out 1 cup of the broth and reserve. In a 3- to 4-quart casserole or Dutch oven, combine the remaining 4 1/2 cups of broth with the rice and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Cover and bake for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and a thick porridge has formed.
- Drain the scallops and transfer to a small saucepan. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the scallops to a plate. Remove any membranes, then thickly shred the scallops; cover. Add the tamari to the cooking liquid in the pan and cover.
- Drain the mushrooms and cut off the knob ends. Cut the mushrooms into 1/2-inch pieces. Remove the meat from the chicken thigh and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Add the chicken, mushrooms, corn, the remaining 1/2 cup of reserved broth, half of the celery leaves and the cheese to the porridge. Season with salt.
- Spoon the porridge into bowls. Top with a little of the scallop-tamari broth. Scatter the shredded scallop and remaining celery leaves over the porridge and serve.
Note: Dried scallops and wood ear mushrooms are available at Asian markets.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note