Good recipe to make and use as leftovers throughout the week for lunch on the go. I added red pepper to kick up the flavor a bit, and chopped bell pepper for some more taste and texture. Just throw the bell pepper in the skillet right before you add the spinach.
Rice-and-Spinach Gratin with Dill
This simple gratin can be assembled ahead and baked later. I find that combining rice and spinach and binding them with a sauce makes for a substantial main dish.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 365
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated fat: 6.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 14.1g
- Carbohydrate: 54.7g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 32mg
- Iron: 4.5mg
- Sodium: 650mg
- Calcium: 353mg
- 1 (10-ounce) package fresh spinach, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon grated whole nutmeg
- Remaining ingredients:
- 3 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare the spinach, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add spinach, and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly wilted, stirring frequently. Stir in 2 teaspoons butter and next 4 ingredients (butter through garlic); saute 3 minutes. Spoon spinach mixture into a large bowl; set aside.
- To prepare sauce, melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add minced onion, and cook 3 minutes. Stir in flour. Add milk; stir with a whisk. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Add sauce to spinach mixture. Stir in rice and ricotta cheese. Spoon rice mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles