Rice and Red Lentil Pilaf
Community Recipe from
- 6 clove(s) Garlic, large chopped
- 2 tablespoons ghee, vegetable oil or a mix of butter and oil
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (1-inch) piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + salt to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup red lentils (masoor dahl)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1) Heat ghee or oil in a large frying pan that has a lid; set over medium-high heat
- and warm until oil shimmers. Add garlic and ginger and toss until it is fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in onions and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- 2) Meanwhile, combine salt, cumin, turmeric, coriander and pepper flakes in a small bowl.
- 3) Stir spice mixture into onions and cook for 1 minute, tossing to make sure everything is combined. Stir in rice and lentils and cook 5 minutes longer. Add vegetable stock and bring to a rolling boil. Stir well, reduce heat, cover pan and cook for 20 minutes. Do not remove lid. Remove pan from heat. Let sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover pan and gently fluff rice with a fork. Stir in cilantro and serve hot or warm. Yield: 4 servings.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by EleanorCook and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note