Rib-eyes with Beer-Onion Relish
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 574
- Calories from fat: 66%
- Protein: 34g
- Fat: 42g
- Saturated fat: 16g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Sodium: 735mg
- Cholesterol: 123mg
- 1/4 pound thick-cut bacon, sliced crosswise into 1/4-in. strips
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced into half-moons
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 whole allspice berries, crushed
- 1 whole juniper berry, crushed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 (12-oz.) bottle medium-bodied ale (such as New Belgium's Fat Tire)
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 boneless beef rib-eye steaks (each about 3/4 lb.)
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Preheat oven to 400º. In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon until brown and crisp, about 7 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tbsp. grease.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium, add onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, allspice, and juniper and cook 2 minutes. Sprinkle in flour and stir to combine. Add beer and sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and onions are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- 3. Heat a medium ovenproof heavy-bottomed frying pan over high heat. Season steaks with salt and pepper and add to pan. Cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 3 minutes total. Transfer pan to oven and cook about 5 minutes (for medium-rare). Stir parsley and bacon into onions and serve over steak.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes