The cake was moist and delicious, the pecans and caramel added a nice touch. but the rhubarb was way too sour for my taste. I would suggest doubling the sugar, if not more.
Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 552
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Protein: 6.7g
- Fat: 32g
- Saturated fat: 17g
- Carbohydrate: 62g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Sodium: 356mg
- Cholesterol: 117mg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups sliced rhubarb (1/2 in. thick)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon or orange juice
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 carton (7 1/2 to 8 oz.) crème fraîche or sour cream
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar, the rhubarb, lemon peel, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- 2. In a 10-inch frying pan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter; add brown sugar, bourbon, and remaining 1 tablespoon lemon juice; stir often until caramel has thickened and is medium brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Spread in a buttered 9-inch round cake pan (with 2-in.-tall sides).
- 3. Arrange pecans over caramel. Scatter rhubarb mixture on top.
- 4. In a bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat remaining 1/2 cup butter and 3/4 cup granulated sugar until blended. Beat in eggs until smooth. Beat in baking powder, vanilla, and salt, half the crème fraîche, then half the flour; repeat with remaining crème fraîche and flour. Drop spoonfuls of batter over rhubarb; spread smooth.
- 5. Bake in a 350° oven until cake is golden on top and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool on a rack 15 minutes.
- 6. Run a knife between cake and pan sides. Invert onto a plate. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This