The rhubarb was a surprising addition to the soup. Not my favorite lentil soup, but it was very very pleasant.
Rhubarb-Lentil Soup with Crème Fraîche
Soaking the lentils in hot water helps them cook a bit more quickly when they're added to the soup. Because of rhubarb's likeness to the tangy herb sorrel, this dish plays off classic lentil-sorrel soup.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 187
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 8.5g
- Carbohydrate: 25.4g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
- Iron: 2.2mg
- Sodium: 523mg
- Calcium: 96mg
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup dried petite green lentils
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups finely chopped carrot
- 1 3/4 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups chopped rhubarb (about 12 ounces)
- 4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 6 tablespoons crème fraîche
- Dill sprigs (optional)
- 1. Pour 1 1/2 cups boiling water over lentils in a small bowl; let stand 10 minutes.
- 2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add carrot, celery, onion, and parsley to pan; sauté for 4 minutes. Add rhubarb, and sauté for 3 minutes. Drain lentils, and add lentils to pan. Stir in chicken broth and salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- 3. Remove from heat; let cool 5 minutes. Place 3 cups lentil mixture in a blender or food processor. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Return pureed mixture to pan; stir in pepper.
- 4. Combine chopped dill and crème fraîche in a small bowl. Serve crème fraîche mixture on top of soup; garnish with dill sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note